Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Here In California USA The OLDIES Get The GOODIES!

I remember when I was able to order from the first Senior Meal Menu . It said you had to be 55 years old. I was proud! Why..I really don't know! We were on vacation in New York or Colorado (can't remember which), living in California. I held the first senior menu in my hands... As the years went by, we found that the lower cost of these senior meals were recouped by smaller portions. Where does it say we eat less because we have grown a bit older? I have seen nothing of the kind nor is it true. The portions you ate the day before at 54 years does not change in 24 hours..when you turn 55.

Free coffee at Jack in the Box, front of the bus seating for elderly and disabled, generously discounted bus pass, discounts at theme parks, no co-pays for some insurance plans, free lunch at local senior centers, even free physical exams once a year through some plans. These are some of the advantages of having the "gray crown".

For the most part, the above mentioned are services/provisions from local social services. However on an individual basis, we can contribute to making our older ones special. I have done that for those in our local congregation since 2005. Their expressions of gratitude tells me I should continue...

Get four or five younger friends who are expecially industrious in planning an event such as a dinner, small gathering, etc. You can come up with the ideas...they can be the runners! You would be surprised at the willingness to help can be these youngers ones! Of course, let's identify "younger". Answer: Anyone younger than me! I chose the thirty something age...Experienced and knowledgeable about the older ones...

Invitations to your event would be an extra touch that would make it so special. Placecards and selected seating was another consideration. Decorated tables would make it awesome! We are talking about possible shut-ins. Those with some measure of disability and even the depressed and shy! Taking that into consideration, we provided transportation for them, and selected someone they were familiar with to ride with them! Of course you would have to determine how many persons to invite. This would all depend on your resources and event site! In my case, we couldn't afford to rent even a small room for such an event. Besides that, a room would be so impersonable! So....




We decided to empty out our living room.....yes we did......and replace with folding table and chairs..Of course, this took the cooperation of my husband. It was such a special event we were trying to create that, the extra work was really worth it!

We had 5 persons that served the meal and attended to any other need they may have including one person in particular that helped me handle the food and pass it on to the servers. Then came the moment when each was given opportunity to relate an experience..............................


 You know how we like to tell our story! We were given the opportunity to tell something about ourselves! We have a lot to say! This helped us to know the person better!...Then the DANCING!









The floor was cleared and we danced...What a change....we don't do that often...at least, not most of us! I seen smiles I hadn't seen for awhile! We were all having a good time....The finally the
GROUP PHOTO


Senior Dinner 2011

It was a pleasure to plan an event where at least 25 of my friends could enjoy themselves for 6 hours of interaction, music and experiences! I hope to do it again! Not all good times come as freebees, but somehow it is SO worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment